layout

Monday, July 30, 2012

This is Not the End

This is the last week of summer camp. Holy cow.

No matter how long the summer looks at the start of camp, it always goes by like this. It's way too soon to be time to go. Especially for me, who might be calling this my last summer, this last week has been mourned. But in ways, I am ready for it now.

Last week was a session to remember. I had incredible girls, incredible sponsors, and an incredible partner. Not to mention, my parents came for the first time to see chapel service. What a great way to end up the summer!

I've talked before about how I don't always get to see the harvest even though I plant seeds, but this week I got to see some of the harvest while the girls were still at camp, it was such a blessing!

One of my favorite examples of this concerned an adorable little thing named Marissa. She was terrified of our ropes course after trying it at night. So terrified in fact, she cried when I mentioned we would be doing it again the next day. But I talked with her at bed time prayers, and I told her she didn't have to be afraid of the ropes course because God has not given her a spirit of fear (2 Timothy 1:7). Then we talked about how she can do anything because of the strength of Christ (Philippians 4:13). And the next day, to my surprise, she got on the ropes course again, and went straight to the top level! As I made my way over to help her she looked at me and said "I remember what we talked about last night!"

Lord have mercy. It doesn't get any better than that.

All of the moments like this make my job all the more rewarding.
And all of this makes the ending all the more bittersweet.

I have peace about this being the end of my counselor days, I think.
I will miss it, but I know my God gives me all the desires of my heart, (Psalm 37:4) and in years past, my desire to be a counselor has been crazy passionate. This year, I feel like I have to chance to pass that desire on to some awesome newcomers. They can carry the fire over, and they will be awesome at it.

As for me, I think the Lord is preparing for something new. He knows what is best for me, and he asks that I commit my ways to him so he can establish my course (Proverbs 16:3). All I do is committed to him, so I can rest in knowing that my new course will be something I have the desire to do. Or at the least, the grace to do. He will be enough.

But with all of that said, I also know this will not be my last time out at Dry Gulch. I don't know if the Lord will have me to come back in another capacity, if I'll just be returning as a guest, or if I'll just come out at other points during the year, but I know this is not goodbye. The Lord has given me so much at this place, and I fully believe he has many plans for me to return!

"He is before all things, and in him all things hold together."(Colossians 1:17) I am excited for what is in store!










No comments:

Post a Comment